Friday, May 7, 2010

A Proclamation


Being from Chicago, and loving food, I’m picky about pizza. What I’m about to say is sacrilege, folks… I. Actually. Like. Domino’s. Pizza.

There, I said it.

Mind you, I didn’t always like it; in fact, in terms of pizza, I actually hated it. Yes, the h-word. It was the commercials that kept drilling into my head where they actually bashed themselves and would say stuff like “the sauce tastes like ketchup” and “crust is like cardboard.” So they promised to make a better deliverable (pun intended). Okay, I took the bait. Plus, 2 pizzas for $12 helps. They let you choose a crust? And sauce? Am I in Domino’s??? Same red, white, & blue around me, same ghetto feel in the store, same bad service… yep, Domino's. Well, let’s see how the pizza is. About 10 - 15 minutes later, I got the pies and went home. I took the first bite, and whoa. I don’t mean like “WTF-whoa,” but more like “WTF-this-is-Domino’s???-whoa.” It was actually good! Both pizzas!! I don’t remember what I ordered, but I remember I had garlic sauce instead of the traditional on one and really liked it. Fast forward about a month later, and we’re pulling in an all-nighter at work. They ordered Domino’s, and yep, it was still good. My colleagues concurred. Apparently, many people think it’s better according to this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2010-05-05-dominos05_ST_N.htm?se=yahoorefer

There are a couple bold statements from that article that stand out, like: “the chain reported on Tuesday what CEO J. Patrick Doyle calls a "historic" leap in sales at locations open at least one year” and “Jeremy White, editor of trade magazine Pizza Today, agrees: 'Domino's is really kicking it right now.'

Try it yourself, and you'll see. And if you don't like the pizza, you can at least appreciate their easy-to-use website. :-)

On the other hand, Papa John’s has been touting the same notion of changing its recipe. Another long project at work caused for more pizza ordering; it’s still crap. Blech…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I order Domino's every Friday night. They are awesome and I actually found a location that is clean and I get a discount for picking it up rather than choosing delivery. I like the new-and-improved crust seasoning, except, I hate that "powdery" feel on your fingers that comes from the crust.