Monday, May 24, 2010

Quick & Easy Chicken Wing Recipe

Note: These are not Buffalo wings.

So I was invited to a party that was supposed to have around 25 people, and it was a pot luck. Most of the people were foreigners, so I needed to represent. Initially, I thought I would make my enchiladas and guacamole. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to do something different. I called Porthos to discuss the menu, and he suggested ribs with a bad ass rub, and chicken wings. He sent me the recipe for the rub, but I couldn't find half of the ingredients, even after going to 5 stores, including an international market and a "spice depot." This leaves the wings.

I did a test run on a dozen wings, and I screwed up... but it turned out to be a good thing! I didn't pay close attention, and I heard a sizzling sound instead of a steaming sound, and, well... here's the recipe where I explain why the "mistake" was a good thing:

Ingredients:
Chicken wings
Coca-Cola
Ginger
Scallion (green onion)
Shitake mushrooms

Directions:
Throw wings in a pot, cover with Coke, and boil on high for an hour. While it's boiling, throw in a few sliced scallions, a few sliced shrooms, and a few slices of ginger. That's it! No really... that's it!!





So here's a nicer touch on what I discovered when I wasn't paying attention. As the Coke was boiling away, around the 50 minute mark, I heard the pot "sizzling." Umm, not good. This means all the Coke evaporated away, and everything is burning! I immediately dumped everything onto a plate, looked at it, and tasted the chicken. OMG, surprisingly, it was pretty darn good! Here's what happened - the Coke reduced into a thick, syrupy-like sauce and stuck to the wings. Add a little salt, maybe some Cayenne pepper, and you're in business!

This time around, I made 2 large pots. After an hour, the chicken was done, but the Coke was still there. I spooned out a lot of the Coke, and let it evaporate away. I plated the chicken wings, threw some sliced and diced scallions on top with some kale for garnish, and I brought it to the party. It was a hit!

At least I think it was. Everyone may have just been acting nice to me. :-D

Since many people asked me how I made it, here I am at 1:15AM writing this blog. Enjoy, all! And thanks again, Porthos

3 comments:

Porthos said...

Glad it worked out...
And yes... I'm a share holder of KO.
:)

Keith said...

looks and sounds nasty

Athos said...

Keith - We all agree that it sounds nasty. And my pictures are really bad since I was in a hurry. But you HAVE to try it. Even Porthos felt funny telling me the recipe. I didn't even want to tell people at the party how I made the wings until AFTER they ate them. When I kept hearing how much people liked them, THEN I told them how I did it. As Porthos stated, "Try a small batch to convince yourself."