Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sumo Wrestle of Pizza


There’s a relatively new show on the Travel Channel called “Food Wars.” The basis of this show is the (hot) hostess, Camille Ford (<-- do yourself a favor, and click that link), goes to different cities and pins the rivals of food against each other, and people would try the food to pick out a winner – for example, we all know of the rivalry in Philly between Geno’s and Pat’s for the cheesesteak sandwich. (I choose Pat's, by the way.) If you've seen Man vs. Food, you can tell the same people do this show. On this episode, they were in Washington, D.C.:








They had “Jumbo Slice” vs. “Pizza Mart.” As the video shows, the owners are brothers, but one broke off, opened Pizza Mart, and changed the sauce and cheese blend from the original. I wrote an article back in 2008 on the Jumbo Slice pizzerias you see in D.C. The pizza is just okay there, but after a night of partying, they taste like gold. Anyway, I headed out to Adam’s Morgan in D.C. and did my own taste test. I stopped at Pizza Mart first and saw the owner , the brother that separated from the original, but he was walking out. It looks like since my last article, the prices went up a dollar and is now $6 vs. $5. I took the (large!) slice of pepperoni a few doors down to Jumbo Slice and ordered one there as well. It was very close, but I agreed with the show and chose the new recipe better than the original and picked Pizza Mart. Basing off of looks, Pizza Mart won, hands down. It seemed like 20% of the pizza, closest to the crust where it’s the widest, lacked sauce, pepperoni, and cheese at Jumbo Slice. Both crusts were about equal, but I think the kicker was the flavor. I felt Pizza Mart had a little more into the sauce, and cheese was a little different. Like I said, it was very close, but Pizza Mart is what wins if I had to choose – but my choice is easily made when I’m drunk: which is the closest to me!

The funny thing is when I was doing my experiment, I noticed the girl behind me with a Pizza Mart box as well, so she was doing her own test. When I asked her about it, the 2 guys that were sitting near us told me they just finished doing their own. We all had a laugh. They agreed that Pizza Mart is better, but only slightly. Guess that extra dollar they added to the price will really make a difference, especially because of this show.

For more information on the episode, look here for video clips and more:

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Food_Wars/Episodes_Travel_Guides/WashingtonDCJumboPizzaSliceWar













Pizza Mart vs. Jumbo Slice













Pizza Mart has pepperoni & cheese that goes to crust vs. Jumbo Slice that doesn't quite make it











Pizza Mart is the winner on looks AND taste vs. Jumbo Slice

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zaaa looks good. The worst pizza I ever had was in the Philipines in the Navy. They put goat cheese (feta cheese) on the pizza and then proceded to cook it, it was hotter than hell outside and the pizza was baaaad to say the least. Ahh memeories

Athos said...

Hmm... doesn't really sound THAT bad. But chek out my post on the worst pizza I've ever had. Liek you, I was in Asia:

http://dudesonfoods.blogspot.com/2008/02/wtf-moment.html