Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen - Book Review

During the honeymoon I got my read on and one of the books that I loved was Jacques Pepin's: The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen. It was such a great, great read. Basically, it was a combination autobiography of his life and recipes prevalent to each period in the book - recipes are excellent! It was also interesting to read about how hardcore the French chef's were back in the day - from culture to technique. The book provides a glimpse into the old school French kitchen's back in the day, which makes you respect French cuisine even more. If you have ever read any of Jacques's books, I would highly recommend reading this book since you see where his recipes or techniques come from.

Some interesting facts from the book...
1) He worked for three French heads of state including Charles de Gaulle
2) He turned down JFK's request to become the White House chef and instead chose to work at the corporate Howard Johnson
3) He was in Columbia University's PHD program for French Literature

No comments: