Thursday, July 10, 2008

Gimme a "C" and a Manhattan Special

Whether I like it or not, Jersey's my home state. And therefore it's special to me.
And if I had to make a short list of 5 things that sum up Jersey, they'd be :
Bon Jovi, Atlantic City, the Jersey Shore, Sinatra, and Hoboken.

And in Hoboken there's a very special eatery known to the locals as Biancamano's.


M & P Biancamano

1116 Washington St
Hoboken, NJ 07030
(201) 795-0274






This little mom and pop hole -in-the-wall serves one mean sub.
Aramis pointed this place out to me when I asked him where I could find a "Manhattan Special".
He said that Biancamano would have it and that I should order a "C" sandwich with the drink.
Manhattan Special was highlighted in the New York Times this past weekend.

So off to Biancamano I went.
The "C" is one monster of a sub.
Filled with :
Soprasat (Soppressata),
Gabagoo (Capicola),

Proshoot (Prosciutto),
fresh Mooz (Mozzarella),
Peppas (Roasted Peppers),

on a hard roll.

I can't put my finger on it, but it works. Although they use Thumann's meats, which basically is a poor quality product, they manage to pull it off with a surprisingly delicious sub.
The sports analogy says it best.
The "team" is greater than the sum of the individuals.











When we put all these things together, it's just so damn satisfying.
It's juicy, yet resistant, has great chew, but not too much. And has tons of flavor.
Suck this down with a Manhattan Special and you know you're in Hoboken.
You can almost hear Sinatra in the background and see imaginary kids playing stick ball out on the street.


1 comment:

Aramis said...

Great place and unlike all the other Italian sandwich joints in Hoboken, the owners are actually from Italy. This was my go-to place for a sandwich and I used to visit twice a week...tasty stuff and the owners are uber nice.