Wednesday, July 2, 2008

joe's shanghai (chinatown)

After Athos brought up xiao long bao the other day in conversation, its been on my mind all week.
So the other day, while I was strolling around in Tribeca, I conveniently walked towards chinatown and into Joe's Shanghai.

It's definately not the "best" xiao long bao I've ever had (That distinction is reserved for Din Tai Fong). But its quite good. I've been here a bunch of times and everytime I walk out pretty happy.

Xiao Long Bao *
Xiao Long Bao w/Crab *(marginally better)
Fried Quail
Baby Eel with Yellow Chives *

Service was terrible. As expected, if you don't speak Cantonese, Shanghainese, or Mandarin in Chinatown.

[Din Tai Fong makes the best skins for the xiao long bao. Elastic and thin but never tears. And not only that, but the soup runs clear and yet very flavorful. The recipe is a well kept secret never duplicated.]
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments: