Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Braised Ox-tail with Cauliflower Puree

I was having some friends over for lunch the other day and had the urge to try cooking something new. So I took a ride to my local Shoprite and strolled the aisles for inspiration.
I saw some pretty nice pieces of oxtail and decided that would be it.

I didn't have the time to braise it in wine, then reduce the wine to make a nice thick wine reduction sauce, so I did the pot-au-feu method where you poach the meats in a beef stock until tender.
The other component to the dish was a cauliflower puree.
Cauliflower boiled in chicken stock, then pulverized with a stick blender till smooth. I added some cream and butter to it till it became nappe.

After everything was said and done, I give it an 8 out of 10. I can definitely refine it to make it pop more. But pretty happy with the result.
(The Oxtail was fork tender with pronounced beef flavor. Cauliflower puree held it's texture but could have been sweeter and more flavorful.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

recipes o.k..ish, but if you want to cook oxtail "the original british,"with a twist?" way,i will share recipe.a good winter warmer and would fill a restraunt!..my house is always full!