Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bread For Dudes

I love food... really love it. As a former restaurant cook I have been known to go to great lengths to make a snack or simple meal; my best friend still refers to my "grating sweet potatoes" incident as code for overdoing it. But every now and again there comes along a recipe or technique that is so simple I can't let it go. Last night I needed something to go with a veggie chili that I had whipped up after work. Potatoes didn't seem to fit; rice gets lost in chili; and pasta and chili are only good in Cincinnati. I had found THIS recipe for beer bread a while ago and copied it to my dashboard (thanks Macbook!). OK dudes, get this: mix 4 ingredients in a bowl, add a 12oz. beer and pop in the oven... Shazzam!!! Hot tasty beer bread with very little work!

I was surprised at how good and simple this was. More than that, I work in the beer business, and, I know, the variations are endless. Different beers will add a myriad of flavors. I figure anything dry can go in here as well: raisins, nuts, spices, cheeses, olives, grains, and different flours just to name a few.

This is a no-brainer; dudes like bread, dudes like beer... go get out your loaf pans.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

holy smokes! i can even start to imagine all the variations with high alpha acidic hoppy beers or rich heavy malty ones.
this is too cool.

and why stop with bread... imagine beer muffins?! or even beer cupcakes?

Aramis said...

I am so going to make this some time. I wonder how a dogfish raison d'etre bread with cheddar, bacon, and jalapeno would taste?

Jennifer Lin said...

I love corn bread with cheddar, bacon, and jalapeno, so beer bread with those ingredients can only be better. :) Now, can one of you figure out how they make Olga bread? It's one of the things (silly, I know) I miss from Michigan. Unfortunately, when we visit our family in MI, people look at me like I'm crazy when I ask to go to Olga's, so we never go.