Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Controlled Chaos...my two cents

Porthos did a great job writing up the goods on our fancy feast binge. But, here's my two cents on definitely the best dudes night ever...

Sushi Yasuda
204 E 43rd St, New York 10017
Btwn 2nd & 3rd Ave
Phone: (212) 972-1001

This was bite for bite the best meal I've had - definitely the best sushi experience I've ever had. Due to the size of the sushi Yasuda-san creates, you can eat everything in one bite and man what a bite that was. Every time I ate a piece of sushi, it was what I like to call an "American Beauty" moment. My focus on the sushi was singular (some could say disturbing), everything else goes to dark, and all I saw were rose petals falling down around me.

Like Porthos mentioned, only at Yasuda have I ever experienced each fish having it's own unique qualities - such different flavors and textures. Hell, even different parts of the tuna had such a strong contrast of flavors and textures. This again reconfirms my belief I don't really care how many people prepare the food or wait on me - it's all about the pleasure of that dish unlike whatever Daniel thinks. Any who, I have never had this many consistent home runs ever in a dining experience. At the counter with Yasuda san serving you, I believe this is a 95/100 for a dining experience. Best ever for me...


L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon
57 E 57th St, New York 10022
Btwn Madison & Park Ave
Phone: (212) 350-6658

I was expecting subtle flavors and you can go that route, but there are big time wtf moments here. Here it's all about displaying perfect technique and a surprising take on flavors. The first couple of dishes that we ordered had such a nice balance. Also, pretty interesting to see some old school French classics - vichyssoise, ballotine with fg. Delicate flavors with perfect technique...that chicken breast was ridiculously moist and tender.

After these first courses, the flavors got hugely amped up - again with perfect technique. Perfectly cooked, juicy and insanely flavorful quail. And, definitely the best FG burger in town...sorry Db Bistro. My only complaint was that the quail leg and the burger were slightly salty - not like the train wreck that was Spotted Pig, but still noticeable. It was so tasty though, I ended up inhaling it any way and biting my lip in the process.

Two complaints about this place: the price and the number of cheesedicks. Basically, they have a whole mess load of plates that are $50 a pop. Very pricey stuff, but the quality of cooking is amazing. What is inexcusable are the cheesedicks at this place. When we were there, it was a bunch of couples practically dry humping at the counter...no f'n joke. Also, the conversation was ridiculous "Baby, I don't want to lie to you like I've lied to all the other girls. You're really special...(silence as he nibbles on her ear)" If this was done at Yasuda, he would fillet these mother f'ers...ah well, still great food and worth it in my opine...


Conclusion:
Great times, however, I realized when you have that much amazing food, too much of a good thing really is too much. After eating Yasuda, I was blissed out and we were under Yasuda's spell. He's not a master of sushi but a grand wizard casting a trance over all those who eat.

By the time we rolled into Robuchon, I already shot my "awesome food load" and could not take much more. The first couple of courses were mellow enough, but the quail and the burger was complete sensory overload...great times either way and this will be very difficult to top.

No comments: