Thursday, October 8, 2009

Gino's East


Gino's East ***** (r u kidding)
633 N Wells St

Chicago, IL 60610

It was my first trip out to Chicago and I'd heard all about the fabulous options of dining excitement in the Windy City.
Cardinal Richelieu Sr. had some business contacts out in there and I tried to get the insight on Deep Dish Pizza. Lou Malnoti's is a chain I was told to check out but when all else fails a dude consults a dude and Athos recommended both Gino's and Giordano's out in Chicago. I wanted one more opinion from the locals so I engaged the downstairs in the hotel in a debate about Lou's, Girdano's and Gino's. One had strong feelings for Lou's , the other had strong feelings for Giordano's and both put down the other one - but the consensus choice among both of them was Gino's was good. So for me that's Three Yes's and Four if you count a Dude's Opinion as 2 Yes's. It was a good choice. Perhaps stupid idiots in congress and the senate should get less votes than people who know what they are talking about that's another issue for a rainy day.

On this particular cold, rainy, and miserable day (thanks Cubs), my crew were ready for some heavy grub. We waited outside in the rain for 45 minutes and boy was it worth it. Other than serving one if not Chicago's finest DDP's as I call them, the one thing that this place is known for is the ability to write on the walls with a black marker.

We weren't up for anything cute - these pizzas were big. In retrospect now that I think about it how could we have not gone with Sausage Pizza being in Chicago of all places, but we just got the breadsticks and the standard large cheese DDP. They call it deep dish for a reason, being from the east admittedly I never even had Uno's before. Its literally like serving pie. Large Crust and a deep sea of cheese and sauce. I knew it would fill the hunger but I didn't know only two slices could accomplish this (one seriously could have done the trick but I had 2.5). One of the most amazing things was how good the sauce was, despite all the extra cheese. Very thick and tomatoey and highly noticeable. Its like having marinara sauce with a mozz stick, its definitely there for a reason. All I can really say is this the most enjoyable pizza dinner experience I have ever had. I'm certainly conscious that some beverages were in the mix which could sway the thinking a few percentage points here and there but I certainly doubt it. Service was a little slow but these things obviously take some time to bake. Highly Recommended to anyone who visits Chicago. and if you come back from there and tell anybody familiar with the city you'll certainly get some props , its certainly a beloved staple. Definitely looking forward to going back and sampling some other DDP's at Gino's.




1 comment:

Athos said...

This puts a smile on my face. Glad you enjoyed the Gino's! Sorry for the Cubbies, but da Bears definitely delivered!