Monday, December 22, 2008

Jumbo Slice – Washington, D.C.

I can put down a whole pizza by myself.

Most of the time.

When I was introduced to the “Jumbo Slice” sign in the window of several places around Washington, D.C., I kind of chuckled. “How ‘jumbo’ could it be to boast such a neon sign?” One night I found out.

I think most of these establishments centralize around the Adams Morgan area where you can find one every few store fronts. This is especially good when drinking too much in one of the many bars up and down that area, and you can stumble along to reach the nearest Jumbo Slice. And let me tell you, a Jumbo slice pizza reeeeaaaally hits the spot after a night of drinking. The U Street Corridor is another part of D.C. that you can find them. I think I may have seen one in Arlington, Virginia.

So one night, as you may have guessed, after some drinking & dancing, we found ourselves at one of these 24 hour places. They’re not all the same owner, nor even the same company, but they’re almost all pretty much the same. You walk in, and there’s a place to stand/bar-stool sit on the right and the left. There are a few community napkin holders, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese containers. Cheese slice is $4.50, and pepperoni is $5. These are tax-included, too. There may be other things on the menu, but that’s what you get when you’re there. Perhaps grab a beverage from the cooler at $1. But the Jumbo Slice? Folks, let me tell you - they earned that neon sign. Here I am waiting for that tin foil sheet with a slice of pizza, but no, you get a pizza box for maybe a small pizza. You open it, and this slice takes up the entire box. Moreover, it’s even folded a bit to make it fit in the box, since it’s so, well… jumbo.

How does it taste? First off, 3:30AM and copping a good buzz… anything tastes good. But I’ve been back sober, and yeah, the taste still holds up. I mean, it’s simple – huge, thin crust, and cheese or pepperoni. You give them a fin… done.



No comments: