Sunday, June 27, 2010

Shanghai and Hong Kong

Just got back from Shanghai / Hong Kong and was always curious to see how Chinese food from NYC/Flushing/NJ would compare to the motherland. While I was blown away by the balance and how delicate the food was in Shanghai, I was pretty surprised at how Cantonese food in the tri state area is a good representation of the stuff over in Hong Kong. Obviously it’s still better over there, but it’s not like Italy or Spain where I feel there’s a huge discrepancy between stuff you can get in NY versus stuff you can get over there. I always hear all the time the Chinese food here is no good and it can’t compare to the stuff back in China/Hong Kong and even the stuff in Vancouer, but in my opinion it’s pretty damn close. Granted some of the best Cantonese food you can get are the huge banquet style meals which we did not do, but we did eat as much as possible in a short amount of time. I’m going to share my experience as much as I can over the next couple of days, since I did a good amount of research on Chow and it’s pretty damn hard to navigate all the different opinions some time.

No comments: