Tuesday, June 12, 2007

French Laundry Reservations

I'm going to Napa for vacation with the girlfriend, so I was thinking French Laundry is a must. French Laundry is considered by many as the best restaurant in the US, so I wanted to see what the hype is all about. Unfortunately, it's virtually impossible to get reservations. Here's the details of my attempt to secure a reservation.

Reservation office opens up at 10am (pacific time), which you can only book 2 months to the calendar day.

12:00am EST Tried using the opentable website to book the reservation early, but got a message saying that the tables are not available to book yet.
9:00am Tried using opentable again - this time all tables were completely booked. Fortunately, opentable only holds 2 tables (out of 12) for French Laundry, so I still had a chance later in the day.
12:59pm (9:59am PT) Tried calling the reservation office early. Received a message saying the reservation office doesn't open till 10am pacific time. We were figuring it was worth a try to call early.
1:00pm My girlfriend and I started calling using 3 phones (2 cell phones and 1 house phone). Lines were busy. Continue calling and calling.
1:24pm Phone connected! Was put on hold for 5 minutes and the whole freaking day was booked solid. We're put on a waitlist, but I'm not holding my breath.

We're going to try again for the next couple of days, but I'm not too confident we'll get something. Worst case scenario we can eat at 3 nice restaurants for the price of French Laundry (2 people will probably be $600-700)...

***Updated***
6:15am Got up for work today and tried opentable again. All tables booked.
1:20pm Girlfriend got lunch reservations for Sunday after rocking the two phone method for 20 minutes. I actually completely forgot about the reservation, since I had meetings from 11-2pm.

Girlfriend mentioned it was more difficult dialing into French Laundry than American Idol. Funny how people usually keep on dialing and re-dialing radio stations to win money. We're dialing and re-dialing to give away a crap load of money. Hope the food meets the expectations - I'm assuming it won't...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mr. negative...