Friday, June 15, 2007

Za

Recently, I found myself in Sweet Home, Chicago. Of course, I had to get a deep dish pizza. A REAL deep dish pizza. A pet peeve of mine is when I see “deep dish pizza” on the menu, I order it, and it’s not deep dish; it’s a thick crust. What the heck kind of a concept is this? Like a loaf of bread with a pizza spread! Sure, a dish that was deep was needed to bake this pizza, but deep dish pizza is like a pie where the crust is on the bottom and the sides, and the toppings fill it in. Deep dish pizza started back from the days when people made casseroles. Some genius (and I’m not being sarcastic) filled it with pizza-type toppings, and bada-boom-bada-bing – the deep dish pizza was born. And I’d like to shake that person’s hand over a slice of pepperoni, shrooms, spinach, and (sliced, not diced!!) onions.




Oh, and while I’m at it, I’d like for everyone to STOP USING UTENSILS WHEN EATING PIZZA! Can you tell I find it annoying when I see people using a knife & fork on their p-i-z-z-a?!? Unless the slice is so hot with that molten lava cheese, and you just can’t wait for it to cool down, then there should be no utensils allowed to touch the za. And that excuse is me being nice. When I see people doing that, it reminds me of the “The Pledge Drive” episode of Seinfeld when George Costanza eats a Snickers bar with a fork & knife. Unfortunately, this video will have to do, since I can’t find that clip on the Web:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_azuIEWG78g

So now enjoy these pix of my pizza, because I sure as hell enjoyed the pizza! I went to Giordano's, by the way.








5 comments:

Aramis said...

I'm a NY Pizza type a guy, but that deep dish looks so good. My deep dish experience has always been limited to Unos, which is ok. Giordano's looks spectacular though...

Athos said...

I've had pizza in NY, but I still don't think I've had a real NY pizza experience. Porthos brought me to one of the 2 (I think) coal oven establishments in NYC, but I thought it was more hype than anything. Giordano's is good, but Gino's East takes my vote. Would love to share & spread the deep dish word with you and everyone else who hasn't partaked in such deliciousness. I even sent one to my friends in LA and had a restaurant heat it up rather than using a home oven. They were in brief heaven.

Anonymous said...

For years my father had a business associate out in Chi town. Every year when the BEARS played the Giants they would bet a Pizza which would then be deliver to the winners office. A NY style pie would be sent to Chi-town if the BEARS won and a Deep Dish to NY if the Giants won. This had gone on for years, but after seeing the pictures I now know why I never got any of the winnings. Its either that or the Giants must have lost that year.

Athos said...

Your father seems to have a cool associate. With Da Bears going to the Super Bowl earlier this year, his associate may have been eating the folded up NY pies. =]

If interested, however, you can have deep dish delivered to you from Gino's East from here:

http://www.featuredfoods.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/a-store/c-GinoAns_East.shtml?L+scstore+nhhz2012ffab65ab+1182068473

Anonymous said...

Pizza on my mind -
I want a Gino's deep dish immediately.
It's 3am in Detroit right now and I'm craving a nice hot pie.

What's a guy to do when the only pizza in Michigan is freakin' Domino's and Papa Johns (oven baked cardboard)?
There needs to be some kind of culinary reform done here in Detroit.