Wednesday, June 6, 2007

La Goulue - Review

Intro
La Goulue - Recommended
746 Madison Ave, New York 10021
Btwn 64th & 65th St
Phone: 212-988-8169

Porthos and I originally intended to go to Japan Day in Central Park to hang out and eat some Japanese Food. That plan didn't work out so well, since Japan Day was way too crowded and we dudes were way too hungry. We ended up at La Goulue for Sunday Brunch and it was definitely a great time. Place is decent with one dish being great. Overall, I give the restaurant an 83/100.

My Menu

1) Assorted Breads - free
2) Eggs in Cocotte - Highly Recommended
3) Steak Frites - Recommended

Dish Comments
1) Breads were excellent with buttery flaky croissants and rich corn breads
2) This was spectacular. Perfectly crispy bread dipping in the runny egg yolk topped off with ratatouille made me extremely happy. I've made ratatouille many a time and this was something special.
3) Steak had a nice crust, but was not too tender. However, if I cut into small pieces across the grain, it was much better. Good beef flavor though. Frites were good, but the bernaise sauce was ridiculously good.

Overall Restaurant Experience (82/100)

  • Food 8.3/10 - Egg was spectacular, but a little let down with the steak. Steak was still good though.
  • Service 7.0/10 - They were nice and accommodating, but it took a long time to get some dishes and also the check.
  • Atmosphere 9/10 - Sat on the sidewalk on madison ave - great stuff on a nice NY day. Different crowd from a large family to the old couples.
  • Price 7/10 - $39.50 for app, entree, cocktail, and bread. Ended up being around 50+ for brunch which is relatively pricey, but I was still happy at the end.

Closing Comments
Solid French Bistro that is a little better than Les Halles. That being said, the steak was not really tender. If I was in the area, I would definitely stop by, but if I wanted a better bistro I would pick DB Bistro Moderne or Artisanal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.