Thursday, December 11, 2008

What's the deal with Newman's Own?

I don't have any personal vendetta against the academy award winning philanthropist.... but I'm just weary of the whole operation.
Newman's Own has the public believing all profits go to charity. "All"!
Are you sure about that?
Now we know accountants and lawyers can fudge words, numbers, and why not both words and numbers around to paint a rosy picture. So I'm just playing devil's advocate here and just would like to see some verification about the so called $200 million worth of donations.





This all started when I walked down the shopping isle at my local grocery store to find a gazillion shelf stable salad dressings on the shelves.
First of all, that stuff is shelf stable. Think about it...
Then I see this massive section of "Newman's Own". And the words Charity and Donation slapped all over the place.
So I picked up the Original and the Caesar Dressing and immediately used it that night on my salad.
Not impressed.
Like closer to Disappointed.
There was nothing extraordinary about these dressings at all. It's what you would expect at a cafeteria next to your office. So why pay more for these products....?
Well, because you want to believe that the money generated will go to needy causes and that you in a way are contributing to better society. It can't hurt I guess, but until things are a bit more transparent, I'm not picking up any more Newman's Own salad dressings anymore.

So I've learned I don't like the dressings he makes. Next on the list to try is his Juices.
I hear they are pretty good.
Until next time.

No comments: