Monday, October 29, 2007

Sushi of Gari

Sushi of Gari - Highly Recommended
402 E 78th St, New York 10021
Btwn 1st & York Ave
Phone: 212-517-5340
Fax: 212-288-9235


I've been obsessing to go to Sushi of Gari for a while and so Sunday was the day my dreams came true.
My wife and I got a call from a friend from Japan and he invited us to have dinner in the city.
Good sushi was due and we made the call to visit Gari. My first, my wife's third time.
When it comes to sushi, I'm a purist.. and I gotta say, I didn't want to "love it", but it was just that good.
Gari himself wasn't there, but this place definitely gives Sushi Yasuda a run for his money...
Polar-opposites when it comes to the execution of sushi... but like anything good, when you are the best at what you do, you're doing something right.

Sushi of Gari is Extremely PRICEY but well worth the experience.
Therefore unless you print money in your basement, this is a once a year "treat yourself cause you deserve it" kinda place.

As always, at any qualified Sushi joint, the rule of thumb is to go with the Omakase Menu... and so we did.
I was informed (after sneaking in 3 shots) that pictures were not allowed... booooooo.

** - Madai with Salad Greens (vinaigrette sauce with a fried renkon chip)
- Snow Crab with sweat Ponzu
* - Tuna with Grated Daikon and Ponzu
* - Smoked Salmon
*** - Salmon with Roasted Tomato
*** - Toro with Takuwan
** - Mirugai with Sauteed Parsely in Butter
** - Tuna with Tofu Sauce
** - Charred Ika with Uni Sauce
- Kohada with Kabu
- Hirame Ceviche
- Sawara with Mekabu
* - Shima Aji
** - Foie Gras with Daikon
** - Karasumi with Daikon
** - Uni
** - Anago with Sansho Buds
*** - Chu Toro
- Oshinko Maki

* - Aka Miso Soup with Mitsuba & Nameko Mushrooms
* - Robert Mondavi 2002 Chardonnay

$750 later, we walked out happy and full.
Yes, it's a hit to the wallet, but an occasional treat is definitely good for the soul.
Can't wait to go next year.

Wow!

- Key to the Stars -
* - Great
** - Excellent
*** - Out of this World !!!

1 comment:

Aramis said...

Intense considering how much I know you love traditional sushi - especially Mr. Yasuda's. The sushi there looks huge and sounds great...gotta check it out for myself sometime.