Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Chi Town, My Town

Lemme tell you a lil bit bout some food to get when you’re in Chi Town. You can try other cities, but dis is where it’s at. We know da deep dish pies and hot dogs, but ya gots to get Italian beef sandwich &/or a combo. When I say combo, I don’t mean sandwich plus fries and a drink. A combo is Italian beef with an Italian sausage in the middle. Good eats, take it from me. You can have some cheese added, sautéed onions & peppers, and to spice it up some more, trow on some giardiniera. Don know what dat is? You see it at all da hot dog joints around town. It’s a condiment that’s got hot peppers, pimentos, cauliflower and other stuff to make you feel healthier. Whatever you do, LEAVE THE FRIGGIN KETCHUP ALONE. You can get the sandwich wet or dry. Wet is when da a jus “sauce” is poured onto da sandwich, and dry is when it’s on the side. My preference is dry, so I can dip da sandwich in myself. Don’t want my bread all soggy and stickin to my fingers. Gotta look good, so you do what ya gotta do, ya know? Now youse got yerself a beeyootiful sandwich. Take a bite… fuhgetabout it!

While youse is der, order up some fries. Get them drowned in cheese &/or perhaps chili. Again, leave the ketchup alone. Walk away from it. Trow it out da window. Won’t tell you a 3rd time.

And don’t forget da hot dogs. Dey’re small. Go ahead, order one or 2.

Hey, did I see you look at da ketchup? Wanna see red?

Several places to get good beefs. I recommend Mr. Beef and Al’s Beef. If you do Al’s, stick to da original on Taylor St. or Ontario. Da other clones are just not as good, but better than any other place outside Chi Town.

Tell em I sent ya


2 comments:

Aramis said...

Italian beef sandwich looks like a philly cheese steak with peppers and onions and for some reason it feels like it would have vinegar. Never seen it on the east coast, but curious to try...

Anonymous said...

the "combo" looks pretty awesome my friend.

au jus on the side for me as well. i want to control the soaking up rate and amount, optimizing each bite.