Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dumpling Challenge

I have been officially challenged to a Dumpling Duel. It's been years since my last challenge (during college) where I came out victorious. I am currently 2-0 in Dumpling challenges but tomorrow's challenger seems pretty confident he can take me down.
And to tell you the truth, I'm a little worried because it's been a busy week with a ton of distractions, and I really haven't had time to work on my recipe at all.
But that's no excuse... for I am Porthos, and I have a reputation to uphold as a Dude on dudesonfoods.

So it's currently 11:20pm... the night before the challenge. I'm writing this post as I work out the kinks to my recipe.

My mother taught me how to make dumplings when I was in grade school.
In fact, this was the very first dish my mother showed me how to make from beginning to end.
Although we never made the skin from scratch (that was always store bought) the inside filling was her pride and joy.
I guess dumplings are one of those things that vary from household to household.
Our family dumplings consist of pork, shrimp and Chinese chives.
Very basic in ingredients, but oh so satisfying.

I decided to jazz things up a bit by adding a little napa cabbage, and gelatinized soup stock, so when cooked, the heat would melt the solidified soup and become a pocket of juiciness in the folded skin.
I gotta credit those delicious Xiao Long Bao for the inspiration.
Although I've never attempted this, I think it can work in regular dumplings as well.

I made 2 batches tonight. One pan fried and one boiled.
The boiled one seems to harmonize better, so I am 90% sure I will present tomorrow's dumplings boiled.











Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Both look great. I like them pan-fried because of the extra flavor that caramelization of the juices does to the skin. But it kinda defeats the purpose of the gelatinized soup stock inside.

Instead of boiling have you tried steaming, them a la XLB?