Monday, August 24, 2009

Brunch at Chez Porthos

Grilled Romaine Caesar Salad :
I was flipping through the channels the other night and saw this unique take on romaine lettuce.
Usually, when you talk about romaine lettuce, you think of a classic caesar salad.
Or perhaps a hearts of romaine caesar salad.
Well, this salad had an extra twist. Grilling!
It looked like fun and so at the behest of my wife, I made it Sunday for brunch.


















5 - Hearts of Romaine Lettuce
10 - Cherry Tomatoes
1/4 C - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Creamy Caesar Salad (or Ranch) Dressing

You cut the hearts of romaine lettuce in half, lengthwise and simply drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and you are ready for the grill.
It takes roughly 10 seconds on each side and voila, it's done.
Plate and drizzle some creamy caesar salad dressing, and garnish with halved cherry tomatoes.

Extremely easy and really tasty.
You obviously can jazz it up with some nuts, gorgonzola cheese, fruits, onions, etc... but it was really good just as in the picture.
Great alternative to your usual salads.


Grilled Ribeye Steaks :
In addition to the new world salad... I bought some beautiful steaks at Costco a few days ago and decided to grill them with the lettuce.
I can't believe these steaks were from Costco. It had great beefy taste with superb tenderness.
I definitely need to investigate where Costco procures their beef. The quality was definitely eye opening.










2 - 18oz Ribeye Steaks
Salt and Pepper

Simply season with salt first, and let sit for 10 minutes. You will notice the steaks sweating...
That's a good thing. Not only is the steak becoming more flavorful, it's removing excess water from the meat and concentrating the flavor even more.
Get the grill as hot as possible and throw the steaks on. Don't move them at all until you turn them.
(Remember, you only flip it once)
I had these steaks on the grill 5 minutes each side.
Take off and let sit for an extra 5 to 10 minutes before you slice.

Japanese Ponzu sauce goes extremely well with a nice juicy steak. I highly recommend it if you are looking for a little acidity to balance off the fat from the steak.

1 comment:

Athos said...

Steaks look great! Someone told me about Coscto meat a year ago, but I never tried. If you're convinced, then so am I. Think I'll make a trip out there tonight.

I was at my brother's house a week ago, and he must have seen the same show, since he did the same thing with the lettuce.