Thursday, August 27, 2009

Fugu in Yamaguchi

Wiki's got a good write up on "Fugu".

Yes, it's poisonous... but only when it's an adult.
It's not born with the toxins, but rather accumulates the poisons throughout it's lifetime and is deadly poisonous when fully matured.

But for some reason, the Japanese love it and crave a Fugu dinner once in a while to indulge.
Perhaps it's the thrill of flirting with death... but what ever it is, it's a national craving.
I never thought anything of it when I was a child. But perhaps I was just being a kid and naturally more infatuated with Pizza and Hamburgers after Little League Baseball.
Fugu is not considered a very tasty fish, nor fatty and juicy...
I had in my mind a bland, over hyped meal to say the least.

I couldn't be further from the truth.
Fugu is delicious. A noble treat. Yes, it's a very subtle tasting fish, but the texture and the accompanying condiments surely make up for it's leanness.
In a typical Fugu course, you will be first served Fugu sashimi, both the meat and the skin will be served.
Then comes the Fugu shabu shabu, the Karaage, and the Nabe.

























This was no exception. My hosts truly treated me to a hugely memorable meal.
Aside from the Shirako, I'm game for another Fugu meal anytime.

** Shirako**

No comments: