Friday, December 4, 2009

Croissants

What's a visit to France without waking up to a freshly baked croissant right?

Right!

I was only in Paris for 3 days, but no joke, I had 12 croissants during my trip.
These things are like fluffy buttery crack.

When I arrived in Paris, the first thing I wanted to do was to get my paws on a croissant.
In hindsight, the first croissant I had was the least impressive out of the 12, but when I took that first initial bite, I thought I had bitten into a piece of heaven.
So one has to ask... is there such thing as a bad croissant in France?
It was way fluffier and tastier than all the other croissants I've ever had.
Is it the butter? The baking technique? Or simply the LOVE?
Why can't I get that here in NY? I just don't know but they just do it so much better over there for some reason.

Notice the multiple layers at the edge. Notice the beautiful dark golden color. Notice the obvious flakiness of the outer shell and the oh so soft and fluffy center core so when you bite into it, the layers just some how meld together by the pressure from your teeth.

The pictures here are from a Boulangerie near the Arc de Triomphe. These Pain de Chocolate (Chocolate Croissants) were an eye opener for me. Never had I thought I'd feel this passionate about a non-meat product...
I was completely dumbfounded and quite possibly have fallen in love with Paris for this very simple reason.
You had me at "Pain". You had me at "Pain"

No comments: