Thursday, December 10, 2009

Steak FRITES

There was a night in Paris where my wife and I just wanted to keep it low key and walk around the neighborhood where we were staying.
I spotted a little diner-ish place where some people were sitting outside smoking their cigarettes and decided to try it out.
For about 14 euros, I ordered a Steak Frites dish and simply asked for it to be cooked medium rare.
It's great to never be asked if you want "steak sauce" with your steak, since I detest American steak sauces with all of my heart.
I will never understand why anyone would ever want to douse their beautiful beef in a sour/tangy, overly seasoned, shelf stable, brown sauce. That's just nuts.

So I waited probably no more than 10 minutes for my food to arrive.
It was cooked perfectly and to my surprised, served with a side of Bearnaise.
It wasn't even on the menu but I guess it's understood over there that a steak is to be had with Bearnaise. Hey, I was happy.

Now I kept telling myself that it's a $20 steak and that most likely it's gonna be average at best.
I was right. It was a good 20 bucks for the beef, but surprisingly the fries were the star, being absolutely delicious.

"Hold ON! How is this possible" I asked my wife.
... as we both kept eating the fries and laughing.

Diners are supposed to have dirty oil, frozen potatoes and cooks that couldn't care less.

That wasn't the case here, and thank goodness for that.

Delicious potatoes, perfectly fried.
And there it was again, Bernaise sauce.

I sure like France...

1 comment:

Athos said...

I did mean to ask you if you had French fries in France.

And I'm so there with you on the sauce on good meat. WTF?