Monday, December 21, 2009

Ed's Lobster Bar - Review

Intro
Ed's Lobster Bar - Highly Recommended (for the lobster roll)
222 Lafayette Street, NY 10012
At Spring St
Phone: (212) 343-3236

Ed's Lobster Bar is another place I've been wanting to check out for a while, but never got around to it. Ed was the sous-chef at Pearl Oyster Bar before branching out on his own. Although the owner of Pearl claims Ed ripped off her ideas, he's executing it better as the pasta and the lobster roll kick massive ars and taste better than Pearl's place. Overall, I give the restaurant an 84/100.

Our Menu
Oysters *
Decent oysters. Nice and crisp with decent flavor. Haven't had great oysters since our trip out to Seattle. Porthos mentions that Bean-Town does some solid oysters up, so I need to check it out.

Lobster Roll ***
With all the influx of lobster rolls joints the last 5 years, I wasn't expecting much. Ed's however is the best I've had in the city. Tender, sweet lobster perfectly dressed with mayo - not drenched and a nice subtle flavor with the celery seed. Add a great hot dog bun that was buttery and flaky and you end up getting a lil piece of heaven.

Lobster Fra Diavolo **
As most people know, I'm pretty damn picky with my pastas. Pasta texture is something so simple that it seems crazy to me that most restaurants can't do them right. Here, they definitely got the texture and flavor down well - nice and al dente. A great fra diavolo although I wished they served more lobster with the dish.

Ice Cream Sandwich
This felt like a moment right out of Pulp Fiction - me asking the server what the f a $7 ice cream sandwich tastes like. Basically, the same buttery hot dog bun topped with ice cream and chocolate sauce...not worth it at all.

Rating System
--- What the F - in a bad way * Good ** Great *** What the F – in a good way




















Overall Restaurant Experience (84/100)
  • Food (8.5/10) – All the entrees rocked, but the dessert kinda sucked.
  • Service (7/10) – Took a while to get our order, but the food came out in a reasonable amount of time. The server was knowledgeable and very friendly though.
  • Atmosphere (7.5/10)– Standard looking oyster bar. It was comfortable and didn't seem as cramped as Pearl.
  • Price (7.5/10) – Still find it silly that you can charge $28 for a lobster roll, but it's totally worth it for the happiness factor.
Closing Comments
Great entrees here and definitely need to go check out more of the apps and entrees here. I think this maybe my new go-to over Pearl now. Funny note - I saw one of the heavenly Lobster Rolls being sent back with the bun only. I guess the dude was rolling an atkin's diet or something...sacrilegious I tells ya.

No comments: