Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ippudo in Tokyo

My coworkers were adamant about taking us to Ippudo while on our visit to Japan.
As many of you know, Ippudo opened it's doors in the East Village about 2 years ago and has taken Manhattan by storm.
Famous for their Tonkotsu broth, the rich / hearty soup is something even chefs talk about in their kitchens before, during and after service.

Here's my 2 cents.

I ordered the "Akamaru", to stay consistant with what I order here in NYC.
I realized the ramen in the states is way richer and also saltier than their counterpart in Tokyo. Hands down.
Perhaps it's their belief American palates aren't able to discern from faint accents between porky goodness and melted pork collagen... and therefore bombard our taste-buds and salivary glands with just layers of pork fat.

In addition, the noodles are a bit wider than what they dish out here in the Empire States as well.

Ambiance plays a big part when slurping up a bowl of noodles. And I feel Tokyo has the vibe down. Afterall, a bowl of ramen is fast food, or drunk food. Kinda like what a slice of pizza is for Americans. So the business model in NY is at times puzzling to many rameniacs.

Anywho, the bottom line is flavor and comfort with the bill.
It was literally $8 for a bowl of Akamaru in Tokyo. Here in NYC... $13.
You do the math.
Yah, I give Ippudo Tokyo 2 thumbs up.

No comments: