Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ho Hung Kee - Review

Ho Hung Kee - Highly Recommended
2 Sharp Street East, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Phone: 852-2577-6558

Knocked out three of my childhood food memories here and this place friggin rocks. It’s soooo eff’n good. Pretty famous place where they make fresh Wonton Noodles and we picked up some other go to items as well. The place was packed but we went to the second floor where they have four tiny tables in what looks like a tiny mini attic. You’ll end up eating with other people, but the food was so good I didn’t care. If I spent more time in Hong Kong, I would come back for a second trip to sample some congee next time. Plus, it's hella cheap at what was an average of $4 USD per menu item.

Our Menu
Jung (Stuffed Rice Ball) ***
This might be the single Chinese dish that stands out in my childhood memory since my grandmother used to make this for me all the time and I would freeze a whole mess load of them and reheat them once a week. The ones here were shaped like a temple (or pentagon) which I’ve never seen before. This was by far the best version I’ve ever had. It was so flavorful and moist and chewy. The filling consisted of dried scallop, pork belly, and egg with the rice having so much flavor. I could probably eat that dish every day for the rest of my life and be a happy camper.


Gan Chow Fun (Beef Chow Fun) **
Another dish – another home run. Although this was oily, the flavor on the noodle was insane. I think this was due to using proper woks since I could never get this type of flavor at home. The Chinese usually say the wok hei is important (wok breath) to giving flavor to a dish. I never understood it before, but now I kinda get it. The noodle was perfectly cooked as well and the beef was uber tender.


Won Ton Meen (Won ton noodle with pig trotter) **
Won ton noodles were hand made here and had some great texture. The keys to this dish were the intense broth and the ridiculous wontons. I’ve never had wontons like this – the best silky skins ever, ridiculous meat texture which was slightly firm but then completely tender after the first bite, and the flavor was out of this world. I wish I had 10 of these in the bowl, but the pig trotter was the star unfortunately. They were good – nice flavor, completely falling off the bone, but I wanted more wontons instead.


Rating System
--- What the F - in a bad way * Good ** Great *** What the F – in a good way

No comments: