Monday, January 10, 2011

Prime Meats (Brooklyn)

My wife and I both had a craving for a hearty Sunday meal, so we hopped in the car and took a surprisingly quick drive over to Brooklyn.
Through two tunnels and absolutely no traffic on a Sunday, I got to the restaurant with a huge smile on my face.
I stepped into the crowded foyer and was told the wait would be 20 min but actually got seated in 10. Another PLUS.
We got seated, and ordered drinks. Placed our orders and were surprised to get some complimentary apps from the kitchen.
(Hi5 to an alert waitstaff letting the chef know we were there. It's not only a treat, but humbling too, to get recognized and especially at a great place like PM)

My wife ordered the 12oz CBA NY Strip served with a house-made chimichurri style sauce. Unnecessary in my opinion, but there are always those guys who need some over the top flavors for everything.
I got the Prime Burger, because I've had it before, and it's just soooooo damn good.
Needless to say, both our main dishes were Excellent!

The steak had that particular "funk" only found in a 28 to 35 day dry aged steak.
The burger too had that rich flavor, with the perfect amount of juiciness from a high meat/fat ratio which foodies love.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people hop on the Peter Luger's bandwagon and say how good the steaks are there. (I'm singling out PL because it's the most recognizable. But there are so many in the city that cheat the customers just the same.)
These places use really cheap beef (the kind that's raised in large Midwest feeding lots and pumped with antibiotics and hormones). There's absolutely no beef flavor. Just char and brushed butter on top. Wake up people!!

So when you do find a restaurant that uses real Certified Black Angus beef, and also has a dry aging program, it's a complete treat.

They do it RIGHT, here at Prime Meats (Brooklyn).

465 Court Street
New York, NY 11231
(718) 254-0327

Overall - (A-)
Food - (A)
Service - (B)
Ambiance - (B)



No comments: