Saturday, January 22, 2011

Walter's Hot Dog Stand - Review

Intro
Walter's Hot Dog Stand - Dude Grade: C-
937 Palmer Avenue
Mamaroneck, NY 10543

There's a famous hot dog stand in Westchester County that people seem to rave about, so I figured why not check it out since I was in the area. Walter's Hot Dog Stand has been around since 1919 and seems to be a landmark.

Now I love me a good hot dog, but I just didn't get what the fuss was all about here. We waited in the cold for about 10 minutes and what we got was a decent hot dog - not bad by any means, but definitely not worth all the praise and waiting. The actual hot dog was butterflied so I guess you get more surface area getting nice and crisp, but the hot dog flavor was a little m'eh. Also, there was some structural integrity with the bun as it completely falls apart and the texture is mushy due to the drenching in butter I'm told.

My standard for hot dogs is still Libby's Lunch in Patterson, NJ where you have a crispy dog on top of big meaty flavors. Walter's doesn't cut it for this dude.


No comments: