Saturday, April 2, 2011

Muffin Man

Muffin Man Caribbean Express
9434 Lanham Severn Rd

Lanham, MD 20706

(301) 459-1144


When I used to hear “muffin man,” I would think about that crazy Frank Zappa dude and his song, but there’s a place outside of DC in Maryland that’s called Muffin Man makes me forget about that song. Immediately I think about which muffin I want from this Jamaican bakery. Well, was a bakery. Since the last time I’ve been here, they have grown to more of a Jamaican café serving such plates as beef patties, curry goat, jerk shrimp, and more. I haven’t tried any of their food, only their muffins. I do plan on going back, however.


These muffins are made fresh daily with some experimental flavors. Most of the time you’ll see the usual suspects, like rum raisin, guava, carrot cake, and mango (all made with real fruit! Daily!!), but 2 of the 3 times I was here, there was a flavor of the day, like sweet potato. And if you go there in the afternoon, don’t be surprised to miss out on your favorite choice; once it’s gone, it’s gone for the rest of the day until they make it fresh again, the next day. We all know the muffin top is the best part, but the muffin bottoms here are flavorful, moist, and quite good, too. Today I got a poppyseed, strawberry streusel, and a cream cheese muffin. As always, quite tasty.








No comments: