Monday, February 14, 2011

East Corner

Intro
East Corner Wonton - Dude Grade: C+
70 East Broadway
New York, NY
Phone: (212) 343-9896

All the foodies out there always point to Flushing or even Sunset Park now for delicious authentic Chinese food. I feel the attitude of many NY'ers is that Chinatown is really for "the tourists." My wife and I rarely go to Chinatown to eat anymore, but we had some errands to run down there so we decided to pop into this random joint. I was pretty damn happy as this place is straight up fun comfort food. Nothing mind blowing and probably not even authentic if you compare it to Hong Kong. But, this is authentic American Chinatown food which is basically the taste of my childhood.

Our Menu

Congee w Pork and Preserved Egg **
Whenever I'm sick or feeling down, this dish is my #1 go to comfort food. Generally, it's bland and I usually like to spike it up with a dash of soy and white pepper, but this friggin rocked - no extra seasoning required. Perfect texture and flavor and they don't cheap out on the portions of pork and egg. Big winner for me and this maybe my favorite congee I've had in Chinatown.

Hong Kong Style Noodles with Roast Duck *
Another comfort food item which was pretty fun. Noodles had a nice texture, but the sauce was a tad too much. The duck was real fun to eat though.

Rating System
--- What the F - in a bad way | (no stars - poor to average) | * Good | ** Great | *** What the F – in a good way

Overall Restaurant Experience
  • Food (C+) - Delicious comfort food that reminded me of my childhood. Not Hong Kong authentic, but still delicious.
  • Service (C) – Standard Chinatown service -very quick and not overly friendly. Works for me.
  • Atmosphere (C-) – Again, standard Chinatown joint where it's small, cramped and loud. Tons of kids with zero parental control being crazy loud and even running around and bumping into other people's chairs. Crowd consisted mainly of Chinese families with one table of tourists.
  • Price (A) - Roast duck noodles were $4 and congee was $2.75. Friggin amazing for delicious comfort food.
Closing Comments
This maybe go to for congee from now on and if I'm ever in the area, I would totally get takeout from here.

No comments: