Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Berger's Cookies

Reffering to this posting from a couple weeks ago, my cousin in Spain sent me some Iberico Jamon for my birthday. I had to reciprocate and send her something that she wants for her birthday, which is in a couple days. She told me her roommate is from the Baltimore area and introduced her to cookies that will cure any chocoholic's craving - but she didn't remember the name. She stated these cookies are made in Baltimore and are only available in the Baltimore/Washington, D.C. area. I Googled around, found what I thought she was talking about, and she confirmed. Like a good cousin, I picked up several boxes of these and sent them to her in Spain. Of course, I had to see what they were all about. Introducing, Berger's Cookies.


Do a Google search yourself, and you will not see a bad thing about these but the opposite instead. And yeah, if you like chocolate, then you will definitely like these cookies. My gosh these cookies are rich. I peeled the shrink-wrapping back on my drive home from one of the few places I found that sold these cookies. I wish I knew what I was in for and bought some cold skim milk, because these are overwhelming. I could only put down 2 and a part of a third. (As good as whole milk is, it still would have been too much with these cookies IMO.)

A couple days later, I tried them again; this time I was prepared with said milk. First off, there's barely any cookie. It's essentially chocolate. And yeah, if you look inside of it, you'll see a cookie in there. Yeah, these are quite tasty. A different cousin and his wife were visiting me from Miami and then driving back. I picked up a couple boxes of these for them, and they were very happy. I think you will be as well if you try these and even moreso if you like chocolate. If you're not in the area, you can order them to ship to you from their website.


Here's a tip - break some cookies in half and let them sit out for a few days. When you bite into them, you'll still have the soft chocolate topping, but you'll have the crispiness of the cookie to give it extra texture. I found this on accident when a.) I only ate half a cookie and b.) I returned a few days later for the other half, since I didn't want to make it a habit-turn-addiction of eating these cookies.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

7/18/2008 - after having read many blogs about Bergers cookies, I had to try them. Luckily I found them at the BJ's Wholesale Club in Columbia, MD - only $7.49 for two 15 oz. packages. Good deal! I prefer more chocolate taste in my cookies - as stated by some, the chocolate (which undeniably is piled high onto these cookies) tastes like the chocolate frosting on Hostess cupcakes - which is not a bad thing if that is what you like. I'm going to try making the King Arthur flour lookalike recipe version.