Saturday, March 8, 2008

Sobaya / Cha An

Just got back from a long relaxing lunch with J and a friend from Japan. 3 hours.
We stopped by at Sobaya for lunch and walked across the street to Cha-An for tea and dessert.

I gotta say, Mr. Yagi's Sobaya is quite good. Their food is authentic and priced very reasonably. It's been at least 2 years since I've visited this Soba specialty store and I'm sitting here wondering why it's taken me this long to go back.
My lunch box set came with...
- a bowl of udon noodles,
- 3 pieces of tempura,
- grilled salmon,
- house salad,
- side of kinpira gobo,
- and braised root vegetables.
All for $15.

While you sit and enjoy your food and company, you hear the rhythmic chopping of noodles echoing across the restaurant. There's a noodle making station in front of the restaurant where on-lookers can watch staff making soba and udon noodles live.
It's great to see things made from scratch with one's bare hands.
The clientèle this afternoon was 80% Japanese, 10% other Asians, and 10% other.

After lunch, we walked across the street to Cha-An.
A Japanese owned dessert and tea shop featuring some great teas and homemade desserts.
I had a Tibetan Puh-Er Tea and a caramel mousse with coffee infused cake.
The Japanese decor and friendly wait staff made our 2 hour tea time fly by.

I know I'll be back here very soon.

Sobaya - Recommended
229 E 9th St Ste 3
New York, NY 10003
Phone: (212) 533-6966

Cha-An - Recommended
230 E 9th St
New York, NY 10003
Phone: (212) 228-8090

No comments: