Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Chinese "Lion's Head" Meatballs

I thought I'd add to my Meatball Series with one of my favorite dishes my mother used to make when I was growing up.
Known in the Chinese kitchen as "Lion's Head".
Here's a simple recipe.

Lion's Head - Meatballs
2# Ground Pork
1# Ground Chicken
1 Onion
2 Spring Onions
2 T freshly grated Ginger
2 T Corn Starch
1/2 t Sesame Oil
2 large Eggs

Mix the pork and chicken together with the grated ginger, starch, sesame oil and eggs. Finely chop the onions, spring onions, and mix into mixture. Shape into tennis ball sized balls and gently sear surface.

Soup Stock
2 oz Jin Hua Cured Chinese Ham (kinda like Virginia Ham)
6 Chicken Wings
2 Slices of Ginger
1 t Sugar

Prepare stock by gently boiling all ingredients in a gallon of water for 2 hours.

Nappa Cabbage

Gently place the seared balls into the soup stock. And tear off nappa cabbage leaves to cover the balls. Make sure they submerge into the stock. Let simmer for another hour and you are done.
You can re-plate into nicer bowls or porcelain single serve pots.
Serve hot.

1 comment:

Athos said...

Nice post! Will have to try this and share. Looks hao chi