Friday, March 7, 2008

Kimlan Soy Sauce

Like olive oil and canned tomatoes, I am always looking out for better soy sauces. I've used Kikkoman, Lee Kum Kee, and Koon Chun. The most recent soy sauce I've purchased is Kimlan Light (Taiwan brand) and I like it a lot. It has a nice bright, fresh, and slightly salty taste. Different from the murky overly salty taste of Koon Chun.

The light refers to the soy sauce being the first extraction kinda like extra virgin olive oil. "Light" is actually saltier than dark soy sauce unlike the implication of the name "light." But, the flavor of light soy sauce is prized as being more pure kinda like the extra virgin olive oil. Give it a try next time you need to replenish your soy sauce stock...

2 comments:

Liz said...

I am absolutely obsessed with finding the sweetest soy sauce I can get my hands on. It boggles my mind at the different types of soy sauces that are out there. I can't believe that one brand of soy sauce has like 7 different types of soy sauces! I tried purchasing something called "sweet soy sauce" but it was so thick like syrup. What has been the sweetest soy sauce that you've used? I want to just purchase all the soy sauces, lay them out in my kitchen, and have a taste testing.

Aramis said...

I've never thought about owning a sweet soy sauce before. Usually, if I want to sweeten up a dish I reach for the hoisin sauce or the oyster sauce.

However, a new brand I found is the Lee Kum Kee Premium Soy Sauce brand. It's relatively sweet, but more importantly it's a phenomenal soy sauce.