Thursday, December 23, 2010

Jewel Bako

Now that Yasuda is on his final few weeks here in NYC, I gotta re-gauge my sushi meter. To be honest, it's not as good as before and you can probably attribute that to a "don't care" attitude.

Well the search for my 2011 "go to" sushi joint continues.
What is it I look for in a sushi counter experience?
Who is crazy about sourcing the very best and still charges under $100 a head.
So many questions raced through my head and the short list came down to one.
The only one I should say that really made me truly happy when walking out those doors after a meal.

Jewel Bako. Originally a 1 Star Michelin restaurant under former Chef Shimizu (now at 15 East), Chef Yoshi has kept there Star for 7 consecutive years.

If you have a chance to eat at Jewel Bako, do it. I recommend reserving a counter spot and not the tables. There's a huge difference with sushi immediately eaten and ones that sit on the counter until all other plates are done.

No comments: