Thursday, April 12, 2007

Athos' Health Freak Muffins

I'm on a health kick, and it's not as bad for a foodie as one would think. It's painful sometimes, but it's really not that bad. Here's a recipe I thought I'd share for others to enjoy.

-------

Disclaimer - Although the taste isn’t bad, these are not for you if you’re looking for the sweet muffins you find at Starbucks.

Ingredients:

Dry –
2 cups oatmeal (you can use instant, steel-cut, rolled, etc.)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon allspice
1 tablespoon baking powder

Wet –
2 mashed bananas (brown, ripe bananas work best (the kind you normally throw out) - I mash them in baggies and squeeze them out)
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons olive oil (canola can substitute)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Combine dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients. Lightly spray muffin pan with olive oil cooking spray. Pour mix into muffin pan, and bake at 425 degrees for 18 – 20 minutes.

Notes –
I use a mini-Bundt pan to make four large muffins.
If you’re like me and can’t follow a recipe without making changes, experiment with the ingredients by doing things like adding or removing spice, fruits, nuts, etc. For example, sometimes I’ll mince an apple or add flax seed to the mix. To make it sweeter, add Splenda. Just be sure to send the royalty check to me if people pay you for the muffins.
Store uneaten muffins in a covered container, and eat soon; these are made with fresh fruit with no preservatives added.

1 comment:

George said...

oh man, i could see this going really well with a cappuccino or latte in the morning.