Monday, April 23, 2007

p*ong - Review

Intro
p*ong - Recommended with reservations
150 W 10th St, New York 10011
Btwn Waverly Pl & Greenwich Ave
Phone: 212-929-0898

Not sure, if there's a concept of a dessert bar in many other towns, but in NY they're popping up all over the place. Basically, it's a place that serves fancy desserts only or desserts with a very limited menu - p*ong also serves light salads. I've been looking forward to the opening of this place forever (it was supposed to open last fall), so finally we made it here opening night last Friday. The chef here is Pichet Ong who has gotten rave reviews as Jean-Georges' pastry chef at 66 and Spice Market. I'll have to admit I was a little disappointed with the desserts after all the acclaim, but they definitely had potential. Since it was the first night, I will give it a mulligan and will try again. Overall, I give the restaurant a 70/100.

My Menu
1) Creme Caramel - Not Recommended
2) Vietnamese Coffee Chocolate Molten Tart with Thai Iced Tea Ice Cream - Recommended
3) Thai Margarita - Highly Recommended
4) Bliss (a drink) - Recommended

Dish Comments

Not sure if these are the real names, since there is no real website but I think it's pretty close.

1) So, I usually love all forms of creme caramel - a rich thick flan or a nice light creme caramel. The flavor of the caramel was very muted and the texture was OK. Add the rhubarb ice and a bunch of other things and the flavor of the creme caramel was completely overtaken.
2) It is exactly what the menu says. Super rich Vietnamese coffee flavor that is molten. Matches perfectly with the sweet thai iced tea ice cream. Insanely powerful flavors here.
3) Probably the best girlie drink that I've had (at least since I remember). I'm never a fan of girlie drinks, but I thought it was appropriate at this place. The flavors were intense. Sour from fresh lime juice and lime zest, a little sweet, and spicy. They grated fresh peppers on top. Spectacular drink.
4) Decent drink that had a whole bunch of stuff. Lychees, blackberries, and panna cotta. The panna cotta was spectacular and should have been on the menu.

Overall Restaurant Experience (70/100)

  • Food 7.3/10 - I'm including in the drinks here, since I feel this is part of the draw. Everything was decent, but had more potential. Drinks in my opinion were better than the desserts.
  • Service 10/10 - We sat at the bar and the bartenders were incredibly nice and engaging. This probably is because this is the first day, so no guarantees this will always be the case.
  • Atmosphere 8/10 - Trendy restaurant with very bright colors. You can sit at the bar and see people preparing desserts and your drink. Crowd is mixed with a young hip crowd as well as a little older as well.
  • Price 7/10 - Price was on bar with desserts from a nice restaurant and fancy drink places. Creme caramel was $12.

Closing Comments
A fun place to take people in the area if you want desserts and girlie drinks. However, for my buck, I would prefer to go to chikalicious any day of the week. Chikalicious has more subtle flavors, better presentation, and more bang for the buck (3 tiny tastings for $12). With that said, I am still willing to go back and check p*ong out again after he irons out the kinks.

No comments: