Monday, April 30, 2007

No-Booooooooo

Just had dinner at Nobu (Tribeca) last night and thought it was terrible...

Where do I begin...? I guess it doesn't matter really since every part of the meal was disaster.
Service, Food, Bill... Absolutely nothing made sense and can convince me to go back to Nobu (Tribeca). Well, maybe if Nicole Kidman personally called me and asked me out on a date...then maybe...

Sorry, I digress... Onto my rant.
First of all, let me give you a little quick Nobu 101 lesson. Nobu Matsuhisa founded Matsuhisa in LA a few decades ago and through the constant urging of actor Robert DeNiro, they opened Nobu in NY with the famous restauranteur Drew Nierporent.
They hit critical acclaim when their then Executive Chef, Morimoto was the Japanese Iron Chef on the Japanese Iron Chef Television Program. It was the talk of the town. No, it was the talk of the world. Global fusion at it's best. The restaurant boomed with popularity and it spread through out the globe like wildfire. Mr. Nobu himself probably owns a private jet by now and sips Dom Perignon out of the Holy Grail.

Now fast forward a few more years to today. Morimoto has graduated from the Nobu camp to now serve patrons really poor food at his tourist trap Morimoto, misrepresenting cultural flavors with hollywood bravado.
And it's like a never ending domino effect because everywhere you go, you see a bizillion unimaginative chefs replicating black cod miso, spicy tuna rolls, and toro tartare.... Please stop! It's so overkill.

And finally, did I mention the service was terrible and the bill was over 1G for the 6 of us?
I am so pissed and am at a lost for words. I feel like I can't fully articulate my displeasure.
If actions could take the part of words, I probably would do what Anakin Skywalker did in Starwars III and slaughter little babies from an unprotected village late at night when no body was looking. Well, maybe not.. But I just wanted you to know how deeply disturbed I was while sitting at that table eating really expensive garbage.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Morimoto was the Japanese Iron Chef on the Japanese Iron Chef Television Program. It was the talk of the town. No, it was the talk of the world."

You serious? You dudes are too selfabsorbed. I can guarantee you less than 1 out of 10 people know who Morimoto is in the USA let alone the world. Unless you meant "'cooking' world." And no, sushi is not part of the typical American household..Can you picture farmers, surbanites, and others having sushi as a regular rotation? Not even in all big cities like OK City, Kansas City will you find that. Maybe such places like NYC and San Fran. Maybe. You dudes need to get out more -& I don't mean to restaurants...

Anonymous said...

interesting point "anonymous"... you are right in thinking i meant "cooking world" because after all, this is a food blog titled Dudes on Foods.
and as for my generalization of American household: i just assumed one would relax their literal scope and take into consideration the vast change in asian food tolerance compared to 10 years ago. you can not deny sushi has become a very popular food in many cities across America even other than "NYC or San Fran".
i was curious and googled, "oklahoma city, sushi" and 30 sushi restaurants came up immediately. perhaps you are being a little presumptious yourself in thinking sushi isn't eaten or served down south.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure they eat it in the south north, east, west, midwest, & everywhere else. I still don't agree with "Sushi has arrived to the average American's dinner table." The "average American" may have tried it but doubtly is not part of the normal rotation. Imagine one of them trying to order nigiri, maguro, toro & more let alone sake on average? dont think so

-Anonymous

Anonymous said...

dear anonymous,
thank you for your passion in trying to make a point.
but i do not recall ever making the assumption that sushi is regularly served in american homes.
as a matter of fact, on your most recent post, where are you quoting me saying these absurd quotes?

Anonymous said...

i quoted you from your earlier posting labeled pardon my absence http://dudesonfoods.blogspot.com/2007/04/pardon-my-absence.html that is a direct quote i got from you from the last sentence "Sushi has arrived to the average American's dinner table" and i highly disagree with that

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Whoa! Let's try to keep this PG guys.

Aramis said...

**Please be respectful of other posters. This website is about some dudes who like to talk about food. We enjoy discussing topics concerning food and we're OK with dissenting opinions. Any who, my two cents is I've been to Nobu NY and it's really just OK, not worth all the hype. Strange thing is Nobu Las Vegas is way better.