Thursday, November 11, 2010

La Toque - La Joke

Michelin means nothing to me now that I've eaten at La Toque.
It's awarded 1 Michelin Star and that puts it in the same group at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon NYC, Eleven Madison Park, and Casa Mono.

To be brutally honest, there is no way in hell this place comes close to those restaurants named. I don't think I'm that hard to please... But for the sake of my sanity, I gotta let this one loose. "This place really sucks!"
Extremely poor execution. It would be one thing if I just thought the priced didn't fit the meal. But this was so bad, you would be pretty pissed even if you were served this at your local diner.
Gonna say it again; Really poor execution.

La Toque - Highly Not Recommended
1314 McKinstry Street
Napa, CA 94558


Amuse Bouche - Porcini Shooter with Shaved Burgundy Truffle
Probably the only decent thing I had here. This I'll admit took some skill to make.










Appetizer - Seared Foie Gras
This was completely burnt. I have never seen any chef "blacken" a piece of Foie Gras. It was bitter and gross. Terrible!




1st Course - Braised Veal Cheeks on Garden Greens
Veal had very little flavor, and Garden Greens were pretty much the worst vegetable dish I've ever had. I challenge anyone to try to make a worse tasting dish than this.



2nd Course - Rabbit Ballotine with Burgundy Truffles
This would have passed for a quality dish, except for the fact that it was salty as hell. Chef, don't you taste each dish before you send it out? Come on!



3rd Course - Squab
Over cooked and again, overly salty.







4th Course - Antelope
It's amazingly tough, and disappointingly bland. This time, there wasn't any salt, or any flavor from the antelope meat either.
Huge disappointment.




As you can see from my comments, the meal got progressively worse and worse as the night went along.
Chef! Please get back in the kitchen and taste your dishes. You can't tell me you are happy with what's being plated.

WHAT A JOKE!

No comments: