Wednesday, January 6, 2010

2009 Year in Review

A little late, but 2009 was a pretty damn good food year so here's a fun look back at all things food for me and the dudes in 2009.

1) Best Restaurant 2009 - La Cuchara de San Telmo
Big time delicious flavors in a relaxed bar environment. This was definitely my happy place and it was so good that we went twice in one day. Next time I'm in Spain, this will be the first place on my list.
Honorable Mention: Moo, Bar Boqueria, Cru

2) Best Restaurant Dish 2009 - Dublin Bay Prawns with Curry, Roses, and Liquorice (Moo)
I've had prawns, lobster, and shrimp from many a restaurant. None has ever come close to this dish at Moo. Perfectly tender shrimp that was exquisitely sweet and the light curry sauce just made the prawns pop! Eff...I want one right now!
Honorable Mention: Ensalada de tomate con cebolla tierna y ventresca de bonito (Bar Inopia), Gambas (Bar Boqueria), Roast Pork Shank with Quince and Chili's (Crispo), Scallops Chanterelle (Cru), Carrillera de ternera al vino tinto - La Cuchara de San Telmo, Smoked Salmon, Truffle Honey, Creme Fraiche (Quimet & Quimet), Tagliatelle alla Bolognese (dell'anima)

3) Best Cheaper Restaurant 2009 - La Cuchara de San Telmo
This may be my fondest restaurant experience of all time. It's cheap as eff, relaxed bar environment, and everyone there is having a blast. What's not to love?
Honorable Mention: Bar Boqueria, Quimet & Quimet, Taqueria y Carniceria Sanchez

3) Worst Restaurant 2009 - Mccormick & Schmick's Seafood
Luckily I haven't had many terrible restaurant experiences in 2009, but the worst of the worst was the chain restaurant McCormick & Schmick's. Overcooked fish, undercooked rice...what more can you ask for?
Honorable Mention: Cabrito (sub par flavor and comparatively higher prices)

4) Favorite Dude's Night Moment 2008 - Sushi Yasuda and L'Atelier Joel Robuchon
After a full omakase meal at Sushi Yasuda which was bite for bite the best meal I've ever had, we decided to stop over to L'Atelier Joel Robuchon for some heavy hitting dishes. I really can't believe we survived, but it was pretty f'n fun.

5) Best Cookbook: On the Line (Eric Ripert)
I know this was released in 2008, but I received it in 2009 and I still love it. Beautiful pictures and really fun getting the inside look of Le Bernardin. The recipes are spectacular as well.

Had some great food experiences in 2009, but none rocked me as much as my visit to Spain. I never thought any food trip would live up to my previous trip to Italy, but Spain definitely takes the cake. Any who, great food and great times in 2009, but looking forward to our Asia trip in 2010. Chili crab...here I come!

No comments: