Monday, October 25, 2010

Attack of the McRib

Last week Porthos mentioned to me that there had been published reports in various media outlets of the return of the elusive McRib to various McDonalds around the country.

I for one had never had the opportunity to bite into the elusive sandwich and understand what all the fuss and supposed cult following of what many people believe to be the best thing that they serve at any given point on their menu. I was not about to let go of this opportunity to pass. To get a sense of the accuracy of the media frenzy I turned to the McRib locater:
http://dudesonfoods.blogspot.com/2009/01/national-treasure-mcrib-locator.html to confirm these sightings. Several Confirmed and Unconfirmed sightings had placed McRib all over the greater metropolitan area no later than 10-23 at 6:00 PM EST.

Flash forward to 10-25 12:30 EST. I'm at work - I'm hungry. However employees were just not cool with the idea of me bringing back the smell of McDonalds into an office setting so I obliged before I got myself in trouble with HR for not adhering to environmental concerns expressed by ((jealous)) team members.

Dinner - wasted no time in seizing the opportunity. Sure enough the McD's right outside my apartment in Eastern midtown had one. After waiting 5 minutes for the clerk to deliver my bag of rib (I guess I have to cut them some slack - after all it is specialized processing) I was ready to go. No joke, even John Cougar Mellencamp came on McRadio singing Ain't that America! F'n Right it is! I'm thinking if you don't like the McRib you better get the hec out of my country!

So lot of build up so as surprising as this is for me, even someone who enjoys a Big Mac perhaps once a few months - totally underwhelmed. Its not horrible - it just does nothing for me. The sauce is bland - needs some sort of extra kick sweetness or spicyness to it. You think they would be accomplishing something by having two pickles and a few onions thrown in. Just an ok piece of meat in Ok BBQ sauce with no texture to it. I guess for context - um ok , its fast food ...but why all the fuss! Do the employees not make decent McRibs anymore - do they not care like their ancestors? I guess I'll never know.

Interestingly enough as I cam away hungry - I ordered one 99 cent hamburger, the first thing I ever remember having at McDonalds - and called it quits. Did I mention I got the Shortline and Mediterranean stickers? If anyone needs these let me know - I wont be going back for a while.

1 comment:

Porthos said...

Oh booo.
Its all about the sweet tangy sauce my friend.
Nobody takes this McHeart-Attack seriously.

It's like America's version of a Beaujolais Neuveau.